Ko Kutani (Old Kutani)
(about 1655 - about 1710)
ËJ
The porcelain painted with patterns and designs was created in Kaga province
The first lord of Daishoji clan in Kaga province planned a business as a kiln managed by the clan, and it was promoted by the second lord. The lord ordered Goto Saijiro to acquire pottery technology at Arita in Hizen province. Afterward, the kiln was built at Kutani village where material stone for the porcelain was discovered. Therefore the wares attributed to the kiln are called "Ko Kutani", for they make a clear distinction from "revival Kutani" which was established a hundred years later.
A characteristic of the technique of enameled pictures includes a method heaping up colors thickly on lines drawn by natural cobalt oxide.
The subjects such as " landscape", " flower and bird" , person, animal etc are painted in a broad-minded stroke. The other is a modern geometry pattern. They have a high level in picture characteristic and decorativeness.
In addition, "Aote Ko Kutani" painted by the technique of "nuriumete" to paint over the entire surface is only by Ko Kutani. Other feature of Aote Ko Kutani is the enameled ware; without using at all red, three enamels of green, yellow and purple, or four enamels adding navy blue. It is called as "green Kutani". Therefore it gives a strong impression to appreciators and viewers.
The signature of the back is almost a square character of " fortune" .
back
Copyright 2009-2014 KUTANIYAKI ART MUSEUM Volunteers All Rights Reserved.